He said this was to ensure that the barber shops complied with the standard operating procedures (SOPs), especially when it involved immigrant barbers."Usually clinics which conducted the swab test will issue a letter stating that they (the barbers) are free from the virus. Patrons have the right to ask for that letter," he said at the daily press conference on the Recovery Movement Control Order (RMCO) today.
Barber shops and hairdressing salons as well as beauty salons have been allowed to operate since June 10 during the RMCO period."Barbers, especially foreigners, who fail to show proof when asked to are actually violating the stipulated SOPs and patrons can lodge complaints with the authorities," he said.
Commenting on a report, which has gone viral, about a foreign barber having been tested positive for COVID-19 in Setapak, Ismail Sabri said he had yet to receive any reports from the Health Ministry but, if the report was true, then the premises would be shut down and those involved would be screened.
As for non-Muslim places of worship being allowed to operate, he said National Unity Minister Datuk Halimah Mohamed Sadique would present the new SOP at the special ministerial meeting on COVID-19 on Monday (June 15).
"So far, 171 non-Muslim places of worship have been allowed to operate but they can only be opened on important days. For example, churches can be opened on Sundays and limited to just 30 people at any one time.
"Following changes to the SOP for mosques, I believe there will be changes to other places of worship as well," he said.
Ismail Sabri also said that the directive on social distancing for factory and tourist buses was no longer applicable.
"This is because workers taking the factory buses have already been identified, just like those taking tourist buses. For public buses, however, passengers still need to download the MySejahtera application," he said.